Sunday, May 24, 2009

nicaragua, spelled with an "n" for ninos


Yesterday we visited an inspiring and beautiful project called Los Quinchos. Los Quinchos is a safe haven for street children with no family who are victims of physical or sexual abuse, who sleep in the street, and who huff glue in order to suppress their hunger. There are two separate communities of Los Quinchos one for boys and one for girls. Originally Los Quinchos only took in boys but soon realized that young girls need saving too.
Los Quinchos involves three phases the children go through. The first phase involves getting these children to get off the glue. The second phase involves children living in the community of Los Quinchos where they go to school, go through therapy, and learn how to make crafts: boys make bracelets and hammocks (also a form of therapy) and girls learn how to sew, dance and play guitar. The third phase is where they go to a separate community, learn a trade, and then return back to society.
Sadly though, society harshly judges and discriminates against these children. The U.S government, when told about Los Quinchos, called the children “social parasites that will never change.” Schools refused to accept them, even though the children where in phase two of the process and off glue, and parents threatened to remove their kids from school if the allowed the “glue sniffers” in.
Despite all of the harsh criticism, Los Quinchos never gave up believing in the children. Many children in Los Quinchos die from health effects of the glue sniffing or HIV aids. But those who survive Los Quinchos are able to rise up, make something for themselves, create a family to call their own or choose to live in community with other ex-Quinchos. Many even return back to Los Quinchos in order to add the new children accepted into the project.
While at Los Quinchos, a group of us where able to help plant plantain trees. Although it was hot and the trees themselves were heavy it was a wonderful feeling knowing that in six months the trees we planted would be used for the children’s meals. But the highlight of our time spent at Los Quinchos, for me, had to be when we visited the girls community. We were able to play clapping games, gallo pinto (the Spanish version of duck duck goose), hot potato, and dance with the girls. Although each of the girls had been through traumatic experiences you would never be able to tell by the smiles on their faces, and it is a great peace of mind to know that they shared their smiles with us.
At the end of the day, these “parasites” are children. Children who deserve the right to an education, shelter, and above all LOVE. Los Quinchos strives everyday to fulfill their motto… “Never again a child on the streets.”


-Loretta Carlen

P.S.
Mommy and Daddy: It was nice KIND OF being able to hear your voice today. I wish I was able to have an actual conversation with you guys but the static on the phone was awful. Mommy, please don’t be sad, be happy for me and all of the wonderful experiences I am having and thank you for allowing me to have them. I miss you and can’t wait to hug you, daddy and Harley Brown.
Matt: I’m sorry I haven’t really gotten a chance to e-mail you. I would have phoned you too but I guess I need to memorize your number by heart! I can’t wait to see you! I listen to Black Sabbath when I miss you and it makes me feel better.

To all of my friends: I miss your craziness. Although I must say, the Team does a good job of making up for the lack of crazy! Haha. I hope you all have a safe and lovely MDW. Cafone: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! And Jaclyn, yes I am so very attractive haha.

1 comment:

  1. Hi sweetiepie. I KNEW this was YOUR POST before I got to your name at the bottom. It is sooo you! Change the world sweetheart, change the world. :) I'm not sad; I was happy and shocked you called. Don't YOU worry about ME. Daddy says hi, love, and dont' get upset, he's taking care of mommy. :) We love you, we miss you, we can't wait till the 30th. Tight hugs. Muah, Mommy P.S. Check email if you can. <3

    ReplyDelete